It’s late at night, and once again I am crafting a blog. A lot of people attribute these late night thoughts to why they have insomnia – me included. Tonight, I wonder to myself if my past couple of weeks have been a complete waste.
It’s 4AM, but a quick post before I go to sleep. Crazy happy dazzling day.
- Officially confirmed to graduate. 100% confirmed! I have a convocation date! I have a graduation ceremony!
- Sat on the Game of Thrones‘ Iron Throne for all of one minute, and just for that one minute, I felt like I was on top of the world. The #GoTExhibit at the TIFF Bell Lightbox was amazing! Thank you to HBO Canada for bringing it to Toronto! For free! Shout out to my friend Abby for inviting me!
- Went to the Ryerson University Film Festival to support a friend’s contribution to a short film called Gramps, a cute zombie movie. Shout out to Filomena who is by far the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes to beauty products.
- Ate a late 10:30 PM Korean food dinner. It was all fried ramen and rice cakes, and it’ll make my face puffy in the morning, but it was delicious.
And the extra cherry on top?
- Came home to watch Toronto FC go into extra time against the Vancouver Whitecaps, and win 5-3 in a penalty shootout to head to the Voyageurs Cup final!
Monsters exist, but they are too few in number to be truly dangerous. More dangerous are the common men, the functionaries ready to believe and to act without asking questions.
Saw this quote posted in the comments of a Humans of New York photo.
It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default.
J. K. Rowling
Yesterday, I tweeted about getting a personal domain name, and today, I have done it. This blog will soon be directed as wendykwan.ca! This is a big step for me as I’ve used singtothesky.org for years and years – and before that, it was au-contraire.org – but hopefully this will be the beginning of where I start branding myself online. Although if I were to be honest, I feel online personal branding can be such an unauthentic way because you have to make sure you publish a professional marketable version of yourself. Hopefully, even with the new domain name, my blog will still be able to represent 100% of me.
I also thought about starting a new (and different) blog yesterday. Now that I have the whole summer ahead of me – the rest of my life too! – I now have the time to start the projects I’ve always wanted to start.
First day of the rest of my life, and I cannot sleep. Actually, that sentence sums up the last five or so years of my life pretty well. But tonight – or rather, this morning – I have a good reason for not being able to sleep.
I am finally graduating.
I’ve let so many people down the past two weeks, I don’t even know what to do with myself.
There has got to be a Medium article or a Thought Catalog article I can read to make myself feel better… And more importantly, not let these situations happen again.
After one night of sleeping less than an ideal seven hours, you are hungrier and more apt to eat more, more likely to get emotional, less focused, and are losing brain tissue.
As a university student, not getting the daily ideal seven hours of sleep is considered normal among your friends. If you were to tell someone that you got eight or nine hours of sleep last night, your friends would stare at you in awe. Eight hours of sleep in your last year of university? Unbelievable.
One of my many New Year’s resolutions this year is to change my sleeping patterns. I’ve been known around my circle of friends as the person who “doesn’t sleep”, but after reading this article, I think it’s about time I’ve changed my sleeping habits. I’ve always known that sleeping late, or not going enough hours of sleep was not healthy, but seeing how my sleeping pattern was affecting my body, displayed so graphically and horrifyingly in the article’s infographic made me want to make a good attempt at changing my habits.
Change won’t happen instantly, I know this, but if I can change my habits even a little bit (like sleeping before 3AM!), I think I can work on changing my sleeping habits altogether.
- I love Korean food. Not only is it delicious, but it’s also cheap and healthy. And it’s so difficult to get all three when eating out.
- I haven’t seen over half of the Academy Award nominated films – including Gravity and American Hustle – and I feel incredibly guilty about it.
The past month has been really crazy.
But firstly, happy new year! I’ve committed myself to five new year’s resolutions so far, but I won’t be sharing them here just yet! There is too much to document from the month of December! And I think I’ve already started to forget some of the things that happened, so I am relying purely on my Foursquare calendar check-in history to make sure I’ve got all the important points documented.